It’s been a stressful and busy last week or so…and this week promises to be the same. I’m not feeling particularly inspired today, but I thought I’d list a few things that help keep me sane on those weeks where the smallest thing might lead to a total teary meltdown. There is something about February with its gray rainyness that makes me feel isolated and uninspired, and I can’t think of anything but unfinished taxes.
Disclaimer: I’m not saying tears don’t precede these “sanity savers”. First, I usually have to remind myself that whatever I’m stressing about can probably wait for 30 minutes while I calm down and step back.
1) Rose is Rose comic strip. I discovered this strip six years ago, and it’s been a good go-to strip since. I love how average Rose and Jimbo’s lives are and how they can find joy in small things.
2) Tension Tamer tea by Celestial Seasonings. I seem to be drinking a lot of this these days. It’s a complex tasting tea that really helps settle my stomach when I’m feeling upset.
3) Burt’s Bees Pomegranate Lip Balm. If there is one thing I would bring on a desert island, it would be this. I hate chapped lips and this lip balm is very hydrating and I always feel a little spoiled when I use it.
4) Reading my refrigerator verses. I’ll just tell you right now that I am terrible when it comes to the discipline of taking time for God everyday. But I do have verses on my refrigerator, and if nothing else, they catch my eye when I walk past and it’s a quick reminder of the hope I do have.
5) Writing in my journal. I’ve been journaling since I was 9 years old and it has increasingly become a dumping ground for my negative emotions and stress that no one needs to hear about again (since I’ve probably complained about it 10x already).
What are your “sanity savers”?