Sometimes I feel like I am walking in circles around my apartment. A million things need to get done, but my daughter is crying and I need to eat lunch and the laundry needs to be done. These are just a few things I thought I would share that help me find a little sanity and try to keep up.
1) I open the mail right away. Sometimes I even do it while I’m still in the car and pitch the junk mail right then and there. This way it doesn’t build up.
2) I set a 15 minute timer. Often I feel there is hours worth of work that needs to be done but I am so tired. I set a 15 minute timer and get as much as possible done in those 15 minutes. Then I’m done and give myself permission to rest.
3) I keep the chores simple. I have a chore or two for each day that doesn’t take longer than 15 minutes. This is more of a maintenance plan so that I’m never stuck with 4 hours of undone chores at a time.
4) I try to only get out one project at a time. I love multitasking so I have sometimes been working on dinner with the kitchen a mess with scrapbooking stuff all over the living room and unfolded laundry all over the bed. I find I do best if I only get out and put away one project at a time.
5) I make each trip count. If I’m running to the bedroom for something, I try to make the trip count. Maybe that book and my journal need to end up back in the bedroom. When I’m in the bedroom, I could bring back something that belongs somewhere else.
Many of these suggestions I learned from Flylady! I highly recommend checking out her website. Her approach is simple and refreshing.